Acupuncture is one of the most studied methods of complementary and alternative medicine. Many scientists all around the world are evaluating its effectiveness and efficacy. Despite many difficulty in scientific evaluation of such an artful therapeutic method, its positive effects on many diseases has been validated. Based on these studies the world health organization (WHO) has published a list of disorders which are treatable using acupuncture. This list includes and is not limited to the disorders named below:
- Adverse effects of chemotherapy and radiotherapy in malignancies.
- Musculoskeletal pains and other pains such as low back pain, sciatica, neck pain, , joint pain and limitation of motion, rheumatoid arthritis, sport trauma, headache (migraine headache and other causes), post-operation pain and discomfort, etc.
- Neurological disorders such as depression, insomnia (sleep disorders), anxiety, stroke, paralysis, facial palsy, etc.
- Digestive system disorders such as nausia, vomiting, abdominal discomfort, dyspepsia, chronic diarrhea or constipation, etc.
- Gynecological disorders such as dysmenorrhea (painful periods), irregular menstrual periods, morning sickness, infertility in male and female.
- Dermatological and skin disorders such as vitiligo, psoriasis, wrinkles, lesions, scars, etc.
- General diseases such as obesity, hypertension (high blood pressure), addiction, allergy, etc.